Do you feel tired all the time even when you sleep more than 8 hours a night? Not just any old tired either, Im talking about the delirious, lethargic, hazey, can hardley lift my feet kind of tired. Do you find caffeine has lost its kick and no matter what you do you just cant catch up.
Let me assure you, you have not lost your mind and you are not just a whinger which others around you are thinking you are. What you could be experiencing is adrenal fatigue. Something I know a lot about due to personal experience. Its not a very nice thing and what makes it harder is generally its not something that is recognised in the western medecine world. You may go to the doctors and have test after test with nothing showing up which can be frustrating when you feel so bad.
So what are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue? These are not limited to but are some that I personally experienced and others I know have also:
- Find it unbelievably hard to get out of bed in the morning. Feel really tired especially around 11am and 3pm and then getting a sudden energy kick around 6pm and often being unable to sleep.
- Feeling foggy, loss of memory and unable to concentrate.
- Moody, anxiety and depression.
- Increased existing allergies or new ones.
- Unable to handle stress that usually is not a problem.
- Muscular aches and pains.
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded.
- Low blood pressure.
- Low blood sugar levels. Hypoglycemia.
- Cold hands and feet. Generally feeling cold.
So what causes adrenal fatigue? Stress does, both physical and emotional. Your adrenal glands make hormones one of those hormones being cortisol. Cortisol is responsible in helping your body deal with stress. If you have been really stressed either physically or emotionally your adrenal glands will pump out more which then leads to adrenal glands to over work and then no longer function properly and produce enough cortisol.
Types of stress that can cause adrenal fatigue:
- Emotional Stress
- Poor diet
- Insufficient sleep
- Overtraining and or to much exercise
- Chemicals and pollutants
- Chronic disease
- To much caffeine or sugar
Adrenal fatigue has many stages which symptoms can often go unoticed for years. So how do you prevent it and or heal your body from adrenal fatigue? The following is what I did and Im happy to say that I healed myself from being stage 4 adrenal fatigue which found me literally unable to get out of bed for 10days straight.
- See a naturopath to first get tested for adrenal fatigue. They will give you supplements and tonics to asssit with adrenals.
- Cut out coffee from your diet completely (until you get better)
- Try to go to bed before 10:30pm and sleep until 8am when possible
- Eat regular meals every 2-3hours
- Add a good quality celtic sea salt to your diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Drink licorice tea.
- Limit sugar.
- Eat healthy nutritious food.
- Deal with stress, meditation is great.
- Limit high intensity training. You must listen to your body.
- Be kind to yourself.
Hope this helps anyone suffering at the moment. Do these things and I promise it will get better.