My perspective on health and fitness comes down to having balance across all areas of your life which is quite a difficult thing to achieve. Its about making healthy choices without restricting your social outings, being more active, working less and doing things you enjoy more, learning to be happy in your current situation.
I myself have been on both ends of the spectrum. I've been lazy as hell eating bad food, sleeping till late, staying up late, doing no exercise and having the worst attitude towards myself and my life. I've also been on the extreme end in health and fitness working out 2 hours per day 6 days per week, counting calories and weighing food, never eating out, having little to no social life due to my diet restrictions, so physically exhausted from training but not getting enough sleep, working to hard with little down time, not leaving very much time to do the things I loved and being rigged in my life.
Since i have experienced both ends of the spectrum I'm happy to say that the middle is where I sit now and I'm the happiest I have ever been. I still enjoy good food, occasional wine, weekends away, training moderately focusing more on feeling healthy and fit rather than my weight on the scales, I have plenty of down time, working much less and only when I want to and do you know what my attitude is better which means all areas of my life just happen effortlessly.
Most clients come to me on the unhealthy end of the scale. My approach is to always take one step at a time. To go from 0-100% in one week is just unreasonable when creating change in your life. Most unhealthy habits are something that have taken years to form and can take a little longer than expected to change. The key is to be consistent in forming new habits and not beating yourself up when you fall off the track a little.
When starting a health and fitness journey most people think they need to give up to many things which can stop them from starting. I'm here to tell you that it simply is not true and not necessary. My philosophy does not include clients eating tuna and lettuce, feeling starving, restricting social events or excessive exercise. My approach is all about creating balance and making permanent changes. Results may be a little slower than your fad diets or pills but I will tell you your results are forever. Its about making these changes your new habits and your new lifestyle this is the key to success.
So how do you balance it all out?
When it comes to food I always say the 80/20 rule. 80% of your food to be healthy and clean the other 20% you can eat your treats or go for dinner etc. Educate yourself about how to get yourself a result. What is your body type? and what type of food will work best for you. Click on link to find out what food best suits your body type - Diet typing questionnaire.
Exercising moderately but make your intensity high. Exercise according to how your body feels also. If you've had a stressful week and your body is sore then bring your intensity down or have a rest day and take advantage of the days where you feel energised. Depending on your goal, your fitness level and available time will determine how many times per week you should be training. For tailored programs head here - 12 week transformations
Try to do something you enjoy everyday. Whether that be grabbing a coffee in the morning, playing with your kids when they get home, watching your favorite t.v show, talking to a friend, getting your nails done, playing sport, taking a bath or what ever it is you enjoy and ensure you are truly in the moment not distracted by work or your to do list.
Set goals and work hard. I believe in working hard but I also believe in balancing it out with rest and doing small things you enjoy. If its all about work then that's just no fun at all. Unless your lucky enough like myself to find something you are passionate about and make it your career feeling like you never work.