"The addict feels low. His body needs a boost. He reaches into his pocket and finds a dollar bill. He slides it into the machine and a can rolls out. He opens the can and guzzles. He feels his energy return. His fix will last a couple of hours, enough to keep him alert for the rest of the morning. The addict is twelve years old and his drug is a soft drink, purchased from a vending machine in his school. This addict and thousands like him will attend special classes, sponsored by his school, to warn him about the dangers of drugs, tobacco and alcohol. But no one will tell him about our countries other drinking problem" -www.globalhealingcenter.com
Addiction to soft drinks is very real with withdrawl symptoms and all. Its not a joke how serious the damage that can be caused by these drinks to ones body over a long period of consumption let alone weight gain. Ive seen the effects first hand and have taken many of my clients through detox programs ridding themselves and their bodies from these toxic and addictive drinks.
According to a report by Nutrition Research Center, here is what happens after drinking a soft drink:
The first 10 minutes: within 10 minutes after drinking sodas, 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system (overwhelming for anyone). Phosphoric acid cuts through the overwhelming sweetness and that’s the only reason why your body won't reject it and throw it up.
Within 20 minutes: Your body will experience an insulin boost as your blood sugar level spikes. While insulin levels are high your liver turns massive amount of sugar into fat & stores it.
Within 40 minutes: Your body has absorbed caffeine so your blood pressure will rise. Your liver continues to dump more sugar into your bloodstream.
Within 45 minutes: your body releases more dopamine (pleasure stimulating hormone) which is the same reaction with drug addicts and their response to heroin.
After 60 minutes: The caffeine will play a role in dehydrating your body and you will lose water from going to the bathroom. Phosphoric acid binds magnesium, zinc and calcium together in your lower intestine. Phosphoric acid and caffeine together deplete your body from the bonded magnesium, zinc and calcium as well as sodium, electrolytes and water. After losing these valuable nutrients in your body that could have been used for hydrating or building stronger bones and teeth your system will crash. This is when you feel a decline in energy again and are looking for the next sugar or caffeine hit to make you energised again.
Nasty Ingredients in soft drinks;
1. Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): The soda industry doesn’t use organic cane sugar; they use the cheapest white processed bleached sugar in their drinks. Scientistshave found that fructose stimulates fat production that leads to insulin resistance in the liver and other organs. It can also contribute to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, premature aging and many other side effects.
Diet sodas are even worse, since they contain artificial sweeteners like aspartame made of methyl alcohol (wood alcohol), aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Aspartame has been linked to 92 different health problems and some of them are craving for more sugar, emotional disorders, seizures, weight gain, obesity, cancer, diabetes, leukemia and more.
2. Citric Acid: Citric Acid is very high in acidity. The acid can destroy the hard enamel of the teeth that will lead to tooth decay and eventual loss.
3. Tartrazine: is used to color drinks. Studies show that it can cause asthma, migraines, hyperactivity and skin rashes. It has also been found to cause a deficiency in other vital vitamins and minerals.
4. Sodium Cyclamate
Sodium cyclamate is considered to be carcinogenic
5. Phosphoric Acid: affect the body’s ability to absorb calcium and can soften bones and teeth and cause osteoporosis.
6. Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks have diuretic quality.
7. Benzoic Acid: is a preservative that causes allergies and intolerances. This results to asthma, itchy skin eruptions and hyperactivity.
8. Sodium Hexametaphosphate: can lead to a loss of calcium and cause kidney damage.
Just to name a few. I know I'm the fun police aren't I. But As you can see nothing good can come from consuming these drinks and if your goal is to lose weight I suggest soft drinks be the very first thing you kick off your list. Reducing toxic chemicals from entering your body will do you a world of good and you will be suprised at how much better you will feel once you get over the initial detox symptoms.