What is the quickest way to lose weight with the least amount of effort?
I find it profound that we go to school for so many years and many go onto some form of higher education to be experts in there relative fields. Grown adults. So smart. And yet still do not know how to look after THEMSELVES. There bodies. There health and fitness. One of few truly valuable things on this planet.
I've compiled my MUST DO list in order to lose weight. Not quickly but as a long term solution. If there are not other health circumstances effecting your weight loss ie; medication or hormones (mind you should give you more of a reason to follow my list!) you will eventually lose the weight you want. Slow and steady wins the race. Who wants to be the hare that gets to the finish line to quickly but has to keep starting as he keeps getting disqualified for false starting (fad diets, pills, shakes) or would you rather be the tortoise, slow and steady reaching the finish line eventually beating the hare.
How to lose weight the right way;
1. Sleep you need to sleep more and at the right times. The best hours to sleep is 10pm-6:30am. The key is to create a regime so you are going to bed at the same time most if not every night and waking up around the same time. Lack of sleep can cause you to run on adrenaline and also crave high sugar food and caffeine big NO NO if you want to lose weight.
2. Drink more water I'm so shocked sometimes when I find that clients don't drink any water. No wonder why you feel so tired and lethargic all the time, you are dehydrated. Instead of drinking more water you head for more coffee to keep you awake which just makes you more thirsty and the vicious cycle continues. And by the way I'll add in a big fat NO to soft drink and sugar cordial. It does not quench your thirst. Find out why here.
3. Eat regular meals There is so much confusion over this topic. What should you eat? What shouldn't you eat? How many calories should you be eating? Blah blah blah! Best thing to do is to go back to basics. Forget about all this other complicated noise.
- Always eat breakfast! (Not Maccas)
- Eat every 2-3hours forget about the 3 staples meals per day.
- Eat things that do not come in a packet or are not man made.
- Eat lots of protein, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds.
- Stay well clear of WHITE pasta, WHITE rice, WHITE bread and includes WHITE bread with seeds in it.
- Get off the sugar. It is the devil and will stop you from losing weight.
- Don't cut out fat. Fat does not make you fat. SUGAR WILL MAKE YOU FAT. Best oil to cook in is coconut oil.
- If you are lactose intolerant (80% of the population is) and you are eating dairy you will find if hard to lose weight as your digestive system will be inflamed causing bloating stomach problems.
4. Manage your stress. Now stress can be both underlying and acute. Underlying meaning you are so used to being stressed that you don't even realise that you are. Your body has just become accustomed to functioning at a highly strung level. Stress can range from;
- Emotional stress
- Physical stress
- Environmental stress
Even worrying about not losing enough weight on the scales can cause you stress. So what does this have to do with weight loss? Well when we are stressed our bodies cortisol levels increase due to the flight or fight response to the alleged threat (stress). When cortisol levels are high your body will NOT burn fat and often you will find that you will put weight on or hold it more around your stomach then usual during these times.Massage is a great way to relieve tension find out why here.
5. Exercise become more active in general. Notice how exercise is at bottom of my list? It's because it is a very small proportion of how to achieve weight loss and unfortunately this is the one most focus on the most. You can not out train a poor lifestyle. Regular weight training up to 3 times per week for your average person and then regular walks and cardio in between which can be incidental. I'm not the biggest fan of long runs. In my opinion it causes to much stress on the bodies joints and it uses to much muscle mass for energy. Power walking and interval training is the best form of cardio.
There you have it. Five of my most vital tips to weight loss. Be consistent with all of these and you will well on your way.