1. In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, ginger, paprika, cumin, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Toss chicken in marinade, generously coating all sides of meat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken from refrigerator and arrange in a single layer in a roasting pan. Nestle lemon halves among chicken pieces. Roast chicken about 30 minutes.
3. Finish cooking chicken 6 inches under grill until just beginning to blacken in places, 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with a generous sprinkle of chopped cilantro. Serve with roasted lemons on the side to squeeze over chicken.
TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATO
2 medium-large sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup stemmed and chopped kale
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup crumbled feta
Yield: Makes 4 servings
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse sweet potatoes and prick them a few times with a fork. Roast in a baking pan until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
2. In a medium skillet, warm oil over medium-low heat. Sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add kale; sauté until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, carefully hollow out with a spoon and place flesh in a large bowl. Add kale mixture, yogurt, Parmesan, thyme and salt; mix thoroughly.
4. Carefully spoon a quarter of filling into each potato skin. Top with feta and return to roasting pan. Bake until cheese is golden and sweet potatoes are thoroughly warmed, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes; serve.
7-8 small beets (select a variety, such as Chioggia, golden and red beets)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub beets; pierce with a fork and place in a small baking dish. Cover with a snug lid or wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. While beets roast, make chimichurri: In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, shallot, parsley, oregano, salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Whisk thoroughly.
3. Remove skins from beets. Slice beets crosswise 1/2 inch thick. Carefully toss slices with chimichurri. Serve immediately.